12.3.09

Reading...



I tend to read in intense bouts, often two or three books at the same time. Here are three very interesting & recommendable books. In the western tradition, the shadow has often been related to the origins of painting -one draws the figure by tracing its shadow on a wall - so the painted image is born from the negative. A short history of the shadow by Victor I. Stoichita examines this tradition, a fascinating read. Musings and reflections on the art object and its relation to time is the subject of George Kubler's the shape of time. This work I am still digesting and thinking about...issues which are very much at the core of my own activity. Finally, Yves Bonnefoy and the collection of essays the lure and the truth of painting, a book I have read again and again...a very distinct style and view of things...

No comments:

Post a Comment